When is my child old enough to attend?
|If your child was born||Can attend 3yo||Can attend 4yo|
|May 1 2014 – Apr 30 2015||2019|
|May 1 2015 – Apr 30 2016||2019|
|May 1 2015 – Apr 30 2016||2020|
|May 1 2016 – Apr 30 2017||2020|
|May 1 2016 – Apr 30 2017||2021|
|May 1 2017 – Apr 30 2018||2021|
|May 1 2017 – Apr 30 2018||2022|
|May 1 2018 – Apr 30 2019||2022|
|May 1 2018 – Apr 30 2019||2023|
How to gauge your child’s readiness
It is very important to consider when your child is likely to gain the most benefit from starting school, as this will help you determine when your child’s kindergarten experience should commence. Once a child starts 3 year old kinder, their education journey has commenced with an expectation of moving into 4 year old kinder the following year and then school the year after.
Although every child’s development is unique, observation and research suggest that children who turn 3 between January and April can benefit significantly from waiting a year and starting kinder the year they turn 4.
You know your child best. However, to help make an informed decision about when to start your child’s education journey, you can:
- Discuss your options with people whose judgement you trust such as your Maternal and Child Health Nurse, kindergarten educators, school teachers (especially foundation and prep) and other parents
- Attend kindergarten information sessions
- Read up on kinder readiness
- Both 3 and 4 year old programs can have children ranging from 3, 4 and 5 years old in attendance
- Your child must be at school in the year that they turn 6 years of age, this is the compulsory school starting age
- Access to a second year of either 3 or 4 year old kinder is only available under limited circumstances and should not be assumed as an automatic entitlement
What if I decide to wait another year?
There are other options to consider if you decide to wait a year. Play group, occasional care and family day care are available in the Bayside area and provide opportunities to develop your child’s readiness for kinder